The Kosciuszko Mound was raised in 1820-1823 to commemorate the Polish national hero Tadeusz Kosciuszko. In 1850-1854, under the partitions, the Austrian authorities erected a fortress around the Mound. Nowadays, the restored fortress contains a hotel, the radio station headquarters and two permanent exhibitions. One is dedicated to Tadeusz Kosciuszko and the history of the Mound, while the other one displays wax figures of Polish freedom fighters as well as other well-known Poles. The top of the Mound affords a vast panorama of Krakow and the surrounding area.